Thursday

The Sketchbook Project 2012

My sketchbook arrived today from Art House Co-op. It's a 32 page, 5.25" x 7.25" book that I'll fill up and mail off to the Brooklyn Art Library as part of their project. For info on participating in the project, or going to visit one of the sites on the World Tour visit their website. You can also sign up to partipate in the 2013 Project and look into joining one of the other group projects they've got in work.

blank Sketchbook
I nicked the photo from their website since I've already got mine in the press trying to dry the first page flat.

I finished it by the deadline!

Here's a slideshow of the images:


And here are individual images:



Although I've been making sketchbooks and journals for personal viewing for a while now I found myself paralyzed when I considered the possibility that someone might actually look at what I've done.
maybe it's the book format I fear
the paper itself is a bit intimidating
it could be myself I fear. alone. isolated. and certainly morbidly afraid of being egotistical.
things should be in balance
sometimes you've got nothing. and then you've got too much paint on the paper to do anything about.
sometimes you're inspired by things you haven't seen yet
quickly filling space
sometimes when you repeat something you don't really like it gets better. sometimes not so much
decorative flowers always area good space filler
when a particular material or technique doesn't end up quite right do more of it
fear of criticism. something sparkly and shiny is distracting
yellow can be very disturbing
disorder can be quite disorienting


Although I've been making sketchbooks and journals for personal viewing for a while now I found myself paralyzed when I considered the possibility that someone might actually look at what I've done. Having decided to "face my fears" in the sketchbook, I ended up (as with just about everything in my life) with some pages I love, some I hate and some I'm indifferent towards. I did however, based on this process decide to take some classes at my local community college and further face my fears.



No comments: